Friday, January 14, 2011

Three's Company

When my husband and I decided to get our first dog in 1993, it was love at first sight. A 5 month old Boston Terrier we excitedly named Comiskey.

We learned a lot from him over the next few years. Like how Bostons chew on anything within reach, burrow under any available blanket and seem to be more human than dog. After the kids came along, he became our furry vacuum, destroyer of Lego's and resident face cleaner.

As he entered his senior years and began to slow down, we thought that maybe a younger addition would inspire him to get some spring in his step. That was when we found out about MWBTR and welcomed our first addition, Maggie.

After Comiskey died, we found another lost soul who needed us in 2005, Spanky. I saw Sam on the website in 2007 (just looking, honey) and convinced my husband that he needed us too. Sadly in 2010, our Maggie died after surgery to remove a large tumor and our heartbroken family was left with two knuckle heads.

We decided to take a little breather afterwards, which lasted about 3 weeks. Our latest addition is definitely our smallest with Betty, but she's not about to be pushed around by the boys. As you can see in the picture, she's confident and full of spunk. Sammy is now 13 and nearly blind, but can find a warm lap at the drop of a hat. Our Spanky, who we always joked had a glandular problem, is currently on thyroid supplements after being tested and vindicated. He's still big boned. My kids joke that I'm going to replace them with Bostons when they go away to school. Probably so, but what's wrong with that?

1 comment:

  1. That's what I did...the boys went away to college and left me alone so I got a Boston! They say I spoil her more than I ever spoiled them and they are right!

    ReplyDelete